Big progress this week with the roof: it appears to be finished! There are some slight areas where we are unhappy with the appearance, but overall we are happy that the roof is on and it doesn't appear to be leaking. The roofers fixed some of our big issues, namely the way the dormers tie into the main roof, and the parallel lines of the roofing panels on the dormers.
The drywall guys were able to tape and mud most of the drywall that they put up over the weekend. This is excellent in that the house is really starting to come together inside. Unfortunately our only source of heat is two space heaters, so things are drying VERY slowly.
Broken toilet seat lid, drywall mud all over the place, and a large electric bill, but we have walls!!
We have bathroom floors! Tile is in both of the bathrooms, which is excellent. No grout, however, and no estimate on when that will go in. All we have been told is "after the drywall". This did start the very stressful project of choosing paint colors that are interesting, go with the floors, and don't look grandmotherly.
The electrician came and did some electrical work, including getting the fan wired. This allowed our weekend project to be media room floor removal and attic ceiling installation. We are starting to see how the rooms will come together as we see the lighting locations and junction boxes for outlets and are getting excited to have power returned to a few of the rooms at least.
Drywall was installed in a few areas on Friday, but the installer was unable to do much as the drywall had all been left outside and was ruined by the rain. Lowes brought some drywall late in the day and this was stacked neatly inside the house, directly in the path of the beam leak. Didn't really serve the purpose of keeping the drywall dry. The drywaller did come back over the weekend and got a lot of the board up, but not taped.
More trim was worked on, but not in a big, impactful way. The stairs have a railing now, but not sure if it is enough to get us to pass our loan inspection.
The roof is more complete, but there is a slight issue with the fact that the roofing panels aren't parallel... there are also a few places where the junctions are a bit... odd...
You might remember that the ceiling of the media room was a problem. The window that Ted had installed prevented the ceiling from continuing straight through and finishing the attic floor.
We decided to remedy this situation by removing the ceiling in this whole section and revealing the tongue and groove sloped walls to the ceiling.
Chris worked to get the point of the ceiling framed and finished in a respectable way so that we could remove the floor and expose the vaulted ceiling. We also installed the fan while the floor was still in so that we had easier access to all the electrical.
This week we did start to see the metal roof go on. It also led to more issues with the work the contractors had done that was done poorly. As the roof was installed, we started to point out these issues but tended to be rebuffed. This roof is not looking like we had hoped. Very frustrating.
Over the weekend, we also managed to get about 2/3 of the house painted. It makes a big impact, but is frustrating that we are now crossing our fingers for good enough weather to continue when if all of this had been done when they said it would, we would have a watertight, painted, and finished house by now.
The contractors puttered for a few days while not accomplishing much. They were then told not to come any more until the electrician and the drywall guys were done. Unfortunately this does not get our house finished any faster.
The contractors are working hard again this week, though we don't see much impact of their work. They trimmed out some more windows, which is making a nice impact on the interior, but isn't really speeding up the process of getting this place loan-ready.
The upstairs bathroom was framed this week, which was fun to see how much it is going to expand and start planning the layout of furniture. The contractors also drywalled in the far side of the new wall, leaving one side open for the electrician to do his thing.
Roofing material was delivered this week (causing a little bit of a WTF moment when the roofers were able to get a 32' long solid item down our road when the contractors were unable to do the same for the beam that needed replacing). It is currently sitting in our yard and hasn't begun to be installed.
We also had the joy of another meeting with the construction company where they freely admitted that they would have fired themselves for their lack of efficiency but still had the gall to ask for more money. We said no, and yet again in this process I was glad that I married a construction defect lawyer. Chris can act plenty intimidating when he needs to.
The saga of the well is now over, but the boys are still working on a functional well house. Chris and my dad worked hard on a well house structure that would house the pressure tank and a few tools if necessary. Their results were pretty exciting!
Gathering materials and left over 2x4 boards from the house construction made the well house a little cheaper!
Some last minute plan changes made the shape a little different than anticipated, but functional nonetheless.
Max and Jackie spent most of the day observing the action.
Siding and sheeting going on.
Chris installed the roof and the doors!